Skip to content

Continuing Professional Competency Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Professional Engineers

  1. Is continuing education required to renew a license?
    Yes, you must report 16 hours of continuing professional competency hours. You cannot report hours for your first renewal.
  2. What precisely do I have to do and when?
    In the two years prior to the biennial renewal date of your license, you must complete 16 hours of acceptable professional development hours (PDHs).
  3. What are PDHs?
    One PDH equals one hour of contact time. A one hour lecture equals one PDH.
  4. What are acceptable PDHs?
    Acceptable topics are those that maintain and enhance professional competency and foster improvement, advancement, and extension of professional skills and knowledge related to the practice of engineering.
  5. What are acceptable courses?
    1. Technical, research, analytical, or design aspects of engineering;
    2. Laws and regulations applicable to the practice of engineering in Maryland;
    3. Engineering-related computer hardware and software topics;
    4. Standards of practice or care;
    5. Professional engineering ethics;
    6. Project management, risk assessment and management, or emergency and disaster management; or
    7. Similar topics aimed to maintain, improve, or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to the licensees field of practice
  6. Do I have to attend a college course to gain credit?
    No, qualifying programs shall be formally organized and classified as: university, college, and community college courses; professional workshops; seminars; self- directed or technical presentations.
  7. Do the PDHs have to be in a classroom-like setting?
    No, qualifying programs may be presented live, televised, videotaped, audio taped, online, or through other appropriate formats approved by the Board.
  8. Do courses have to be approved by the Board?
  9. Do providers have to be approved by the Board?
    Yes, but there is an exception. ABET or regionally accredited academic learning institutions, national/local professional engineering societies, ACEC, NCEES and other organizations are pre-approved. For profit companies can apply and become approved. These will be listed on the Board’s website. A licensee may also take a presentation from other organizations, such as manufacturers, technical organization, their own employer (brown bag lunches), and others and count as acceptable, provided the presentation maintains or enhances professional competency and fosters improvement, advancement, and extension of professional skills and knowledge related to the practice of engineering.
  10. What do I have to turn in at renewal time?
    At the time of renewal you have to certify that you have completed the 16 PDHs. You need to keep records as described in the regulations. These records must be kept for four years after the completing the course, technical presentation, etc. Each year a portion of the licensees will be audited. At that time the licensee will have to produce the appropriate records.
  11. Where can I find additional and more detailed information?
    Here are the links for detailed and specific details.
    Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR)
    Maryland Law